The base made with Istrian stone and built in 1611 under the General Superintendents Giovanni Pasqualigo, stands at the center of the Big Square, with three seals of water wells. Placed on the basement, the banner witnesses the history of the fortress of Palmanova, which hosted the banner of San Marco, the French flag, the Habsburg eagle and, finally, the Italian tricolor. The banner is also a city symbol, called “Mario” by the citizens. The current antenna, 28 meters high, was installed in 1893, replacing the previous wooden flagpoles.

Other places to visit

Outside and on the walls