Palace of the General Superintendent-Town Hall
The Palace of the General Superintendent, now the seat of the Town Hall, was built by the Superintendent Marc’Antonio Memmo in 1598, as proven by the date on the keystone of the entry gate. In 1611 it was enlarged by Giovanni Pasqualigo.
It was the residence of the General Superintendent of the Patria del Friuli, an 18-month term of office on appointment of the Doge of Venice. At that time the Superintendent had full military and civil powers on the territory of Palmanova and on the three neighboring villages (Palmada, Ronchis and San Lorenzo). In addition to the apartments of the Superintendent and family, this was also the seat of the Chancellery of the administration of justice. Three wells provided water for the residence and service areas.