This ancient military quarter was built in 1634 near the Road of the Troops, a street that ran internally at the foot of the first set of walls. The barracks, originally founded as St. Michele quarter, is one of the 18 buildings designed by architect Giulio Savorgnan used as a military lodging. After the Great War it was named Piave Barracks in memory of the outcome of the conflict.
Nowadays, the place is sadly known for having hosted, from September 1944 to the last days of April 1945, one of the most important anti-partisan repression centers in Friuli Venezia Giulia. In fact, hundreds of people were tortured and killed here: the only victims whose identity is known are more than 450, both men and women.